Your Nav Bar Here

Apr 16, 2012

the meaning behind Idaho Virtoo

I realized the other day I never let you in on what "Idaho Virtoo" meant.  Here's the meaning behind it, taken from my profile on etsy (I also shared where I get my inspiration):

The name Idaho Virtoo came about one evening as my parents and I were looking at all sorts of uncommon words for my shop name. I wanted something different and unique, yet catchy and easy to remember. And I wanted the word "Idaho" in there somewhere, as that's where I live. My mom stumbled across the word "virtu" which means "excellence or merit in objects of art, curios, and the like." After trying it out as a name for a while, we decided "virtu" was a great fit. But I didn't want anyone to think I misspelled the word "virtue" and I didn't want any mispronunciations. Thus, the word "virtoo" was formed. It's unique, fun to say, and you pronounce it how it looks - "vir-too."

I get my inspiration from many things. Mostly; ordinary life. The day-to-day occurrences that so many of us don't even think about. I like to see the beauty in the ordinary. Because there's so much beauty there, and we don't even see it. Even around my house - just taking a walk around the neighborhood makes me want to create. Seeing the magnificent things our Creator made makes me want to make things too. Be it the way the trees sway in the wind, the sound of the piano as I practice, my cute and crazy little sisters and the way they follow in my footsteps, or even our street names in our neighborhood which I've named a few original patterns after, I find inspiration all around me. Everything can somehow relate to my desire to create things. I like to view things from different perspectives, see the details other people overlook. And that's why Idaho Virtoo is up and running today. 

p.s.
new items at the shop!

cluster and birdsnest

2 comments:

Jessica said...

gah! those necklaces are gorgeous! must check them out, now.

by the way, neat idea :) my parents helped me figure out my name, to, though it's not quite as unique, i think, as yours.

xo,
jessica

Emily said...

wow. you really have some talent abby! :) love your stuff. my siblings helped me figure out my shop's name.

Post a Comment